Brick Embedded Concrete Panels
SECTION 04215 – BRICK-INLAY SYSTEM FOR ARCHITECTURAL CONCRETE, Copyright 2006, ARCAT, Inc. Scott System, Inc., 0777 E. 45th Ave. ; Denver, CO 80239; Tel: 303-373-2500; Fax: 303-373-2755; Email: email@example.com; Web: www.scottsystem.com
Part 1 General
1.1 Section Includes
A. Products, methods and installation for brick inlay system for precast or site-cast concrete as scheduled and drawn.
1.2 Related Sections
A. Section 03120 – Cast-in-Place Concrete Formwork.
B. Section 03330 – Architectural Concrete.
C. Section 03450 – Plant-Precast Architectural Concrete.
D. Section 03460 – Site-Precast Architectural Concrete.
E. Section 03470 – Tilt-Up Precast Concrete.
F. Section 04810 – Unit Masonry Assemblies: Brick used in masonry.
A. ASTM C 1088 – TBX Select Specification for Thin Veneer Brick Units Made From Shale or Clay.
B. ASTM D 2240 – Standard “A Scale” Test Method for Rubber Property Durometer Hardness (Shore A).
A. Submit under provisions of Section 01300.
B. Manufacturer’s data sheets on each product to be used, including:
1. Preparation instructions and recommendations.
2. Storage and handling requirements and recommendations.
3. Installation methods.
C. Shop Drawings: Provide locations of brick panels in project and submit elevation drawings that indicate:
1. Panel sizes.
2. Panel joint locations and dimensions.
3. Horizontal and vertical brick coursing.
4. Alignment of brick coursing to adjacent construction.
5. Special conditions.
D. Selection Samples: For each finish product specified, two complete sets of samples, representative of full range of color and finish for each brick type.
E. Verification Samples: For each finish product specified, two samples, representative of selected color range and finish of each brick type.
1.5 Quality Assurance
A. Manufacturer Qualifications:
B. Installer Qualifications:
C. Mock-Up: Provide a mock-up for evaluation of surface preparation techniques and application workmanship.
1. Mock-up panel ____ feet by ____ feet (indicate dimensions) of specified brick type and brick template application utilized in concrete application designated by Architect.
2. Do not proceed with remaining work until workmanship, color, and detail are approved by Architect.
3. Modify mock-up area as required to produce acceptable work.
1.6 Delivery, Storage, and Handling
A. Do not use damaged products. Do not install products not bearing product trade name and manufacturer’s name.
B. Store products in manufacturer’s unopened packaging in dry storage area, with ambient temperature between 30 degrees F (-1 degree C) and 120 degrees F (41 degree C), until installation.
C. Store and dispose of solvent-based materials, and materials used with solvent-based materials, in accordance with requirements of local authorities having jurisdiction.
D. Note compliance with TCLP Test for Throw-away status.
1.7 Project Conditions
A. Maintain environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, and ventilation) within limits recommended by manufacturer for optimum results. Do not install products under environmental conditions outside manufacturer’s absolute limits.
Part 2 Products
A. Acceptable Manufacturer: Scott System, Inc., which is located at: 10777 E. 45th Ave. ; Denver, CO 80239; Tel: 303-373-2500; Fax: 303-373-2755; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: www.scottsystem.com.
B. Substitutions: Not permitted.
C. Requests for substitutions will be considered in accordance with provisions of Section 01600.
A. Scott System Thin Brick assembled in single-use brick embed system.
1. Scott System Brick Snap® brick template system: Single-use template system for brick embedded concrete application. Modular templates formed of recyclable styrene plastic to surround single brick units, having factory-applied face wax.
2. Scott System Rim Snap brick inlay system: Multi-use template for vertically poured walls and corner returns. Modular templates formed styrene plastic and polyurethane rim to surround single brick units, having factory-applied bond breaker.
3. Scott System Brick Gasket form liner system: Elastomeric gasket form liner for integrally casting brick into precast concrete.
4. Maximum variation from indicated nominal dimensions of brick cavities:
a. Length: Plus or minus 1/32 inch (0.8 mm).
b. Height: Plus or minus 1/32 inch (0.8 mm).
c. Depth: Plus or minus 1/32 inch (0.8 mm).
5. Maximum variation from square, measured diagonally across non-adjacent comers: Plus or minus 1/16 inch (1.6 mm).
B. Brick: Exterior grade conforming to ASTM C 1088, fabricated to TBX tolerance.
a. Length: Plus 0, minus 1/16 inch (1.6 mm).
b. Height: Plus 0, minus 1/16 inch (1.6 mm).
c. Thickness: Plus or minus 1/16 inch (1.6 mm).
2. Size: Normal 2-1/4 inches high by 7-5/8 inches wide by 9/16 inch thick (57 mm by 194 mm by 14 mm).
3. Size: Normal 3-5/8 inches high by 7-5/8 inches wide by 9/16 inch thick (92 mm by 194 mm by 14 mm).
4. Size: Normal 3-5/8 inches high by 11-5/8 inches wide by 9/16 inch thick (92 mm by 288 mm by 14 mm).
5. Size: ____.
6. Color and Texture: Selected from full range of manufacturer’s available colors.
7. Color and Texture: Refer to Section 04810 for brick types.
8. Color and Texture: As scheduled. Refer to drawings.
A. Inlay Installation Tolerances:
1. Variation in alignment of horizontal or vertical mortar joints maximum 1/4 inch (6 mm) in 10 feet (3 m), non-cumulative.
a. Maximum offset in plane of adjacent form liner units: 1/16 inch (1.6 mm).
b. Maximum misalignment between adjacent form liner units: 3/64 inch (1.2 mm).
B. Install brick in accordance with manufacturer’s printed installation instructions.